How Dentures Help Oral Health & Everyday Comfort
Dentures have come a long way since their invention in the 18th century. Today’s dentures are more comfortable and natural-looking and play an essential role in maintaining oral health and everyday comfort. DentKits is dedicated to providing high-quality dentures to its patients, and in this blog post, we’ll explore the many benefits of dentures and how they can help improve your overall well-being.
How do dentures maintain oral health?
Dentures can help maintain oral health in several ways. One of the most important ways is by preventing the remaining natural teeth from shifting out of place. When teeth are missing, the remaining teeth can shift, causing the bite to become misaligned. Dentures help to fill in the gaps left by missing teeth, preventing the remaining teeth from shifting and maintaining proper alignment of the bite.
Another way dentures help maintain oral health is by preventing jawbone shrinkage. When teeth are missing, the jawbone can shrink, leading to further tooth loss and a sunken appearance to the face. Dentures help to keep the jawbone stimulated, preventing it from shrinking and maintaining the natural shape of the face.
Dentures also help to promote good oral hygiene. Cleaning the gums and remaining teeth can be challenging when natural teeth are missing. Dentures, however, can be removed for cleaning and regular checkups, allowing for better access to the gums and remaining teeth for proper cleaning and care.
Dentures can also protect the remaining teeth from excessive wear, tear, or bruxism (teeth grinding), leading to further tooth loss or damage.
What are the everyday benefits of having dentures?
Dentures provide many everyday benefits for those who have lost one or more teeth. Some of the main everyday benefits include:
- Improved ability to eat: Dentures fill in the gaps left by missing teeth, allowing patients to eat a wider variety of foods, which can improve their overall nutrition and well-being.
- Improved speech: Dentures can help restore the ability to speak clearly, improving communication and social interactions.
- Increased self-confidence: Dentures can help restore a person’s smile, giving them the confidence to socialize and smile easily.
- Improved appearance: Dentures can help to maintain the natural shape of the face and prevent it from appearing sunken in, giving patients a more youthful and attractive appearance.
- Convenience: Dentures can be removed and cleaned daily and require regular checkups with a dentist to ensure they continue to fit correctly. They are also easy to take care of and maintain.
- Better oral hygiene: Dentures help maintain the jaw shape and prevent the jawbone from shrinking. They also promote healthy jaw movement, which is essential for maintaining the overall health of the jaw joint, and distribute bite force evenly, which can prevent problems such as TMJ disorder.
- Increased comfort: Dentures are designed to be comfortable and fit snugly, reducing the likelihood of discomfort or irritation.
Dentures can improve one’s daily life by allowing one to eat a wider variety of foods, speak clearly, and feel confident in appearance while promoting oral health and overall well-being.
How do you get comfortable with dentures?
Getting comfortable with dentures may take some time and adjustments. Here are a few tips that may help:
- Start with a proper fit: Dentures should be custom-made by a dentist or denturist to fit your mouth comfortably. It’s important to schedule regular check-ups with your dentist or denturist to ensure that your dentures fit correctly and to make any necessary adjustments.
- Wear them often: Start by wearing your dentures for short periods of time and gradually increase the amount of time you wear them. This will allow your mouth to adjust to the new feeling of having dentures in place.
- Practice speaking and eating: Dentures can affect your speech and the way you eat. Practice speaking and eating with your dentures in place to get comfortable with these activities.
- Use Denture Adhesive: Denture adhesive can help dentures stay in place and prevent them from moving around in the mouth. This can make them more comfortable to wear.
- Be patient: It takes time for your mouth and muscles to adjust to wearing dentures. Be patient and try different techniques to find what works best for you.
- Regular visits to your dentist or denturist: Regular visits to your dentist or denturist are essential; they can help you ensure your dentures are correctly adjusted and give you tips and tricks to make them more comfortable to wear.
It is important to note that everyone’s mouth is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. so it’s essential to work closely with your dentist or denturist to find the best solution for you.
Tips For Caring Dentures
Caring for dentures is important to maintain their function, appearance, and oral health. Here are a few tips to help you care for your dentures:
- Brush your dentures daily: Use a soft brush, mild soap, or denture cleaner to remove plaque and food particles.
- Rinse your dentures after eating: Rinsing your dentures after eating can help remove food particles and prevent staining.
- Soak your dentures overnight: Soaking your dentures overnight in water or a mild denture cleaning solution can help remove plaque and bacteria.
- Handle your dentures with care: Dropping or bending your dentures can cause them to break or become damaged.
- Visit your dentist or denturist regularly: Regular check-ups with your dentist or denturist can help ensure that your dentures fit correctly and that your oral health is maintained.
- Avoid using abrasive cleaning products or using dentures to open bottles or cans.
- Use a special denture brush to clean hard-to-reach areas and to avoid scratches.
- Keep Dentures dry when not in use.
Following these tips can help extend the life of your dentures and keep your mouth healthy.
Do you need a denture replacement or new dentures? Call us at DentKits now!
It is essential to periodically evaluate the need for a denture replacement or new dentures. If you are experiencing discomfort, difficulty eating or speaking, or if your dentures are visibly worn or damaged, consider a replacement or new dentures.
At DentKits, our team of experts is dedicated to providing high-quality and affordable denture solutions. If you need a denture replacement or new dentures, we encourage you to contact us at DentKits for a consultation and personalized treatment plan. Don’t let poorly fitting or worn dentures keep you from enjoying your daily activities. Call us now!